Every now and then, a book comes along that can truly alter the rest of your life. For me, one such book is Outwitting the Devil, by Napoleon Hill, brilliantly edited and annotated by Sharon Lechter. You’ll be hearing a lot from me about this book over the next few weeks, but today I want to talk about one of the prominent themes of the book and the most common way “the devil” controls us…
In the very first chapter, Napoleon Hill’s “other self” (that intuitive, faith-based voice that speaks to us, in our head) tells him:
“Two entities occupy the bodies of each living person on earth.
One of these entities is motivated by and responds to
the impulse of fear.
The other is motivated by and responds to the impulse of faith.”
Hill says that faith is the opposite of fear and remembering this sure does come in handy. When I experience fear, it’s only because I don’t have faith in myself/my capabilities/my timing/my ideas… the list goes on and on…and on.
One reason I like this book so much is because it helps me understand that I am, among other things, NORMAL; there is nothing WRONG with me. If you’ve ever heard yourself saying things (to yourself) like “What’s wrong with you?” (or “You never finish anything!” or “You always wait until the last minute!” or “It’s a great idea, but it probably won’t work” or “The last time you tried this, you embarrassed yourself” or a host of other disparaging statements) you will undoubtedly see a decrease in that type of thinking, after reading this book. You will recognize that voice, to be the voice of the devil and you will be well-equipped to talk back to it, rather than succumb to the fear.
When I listen to that devil and believe what it’s saying, I will stay right where I am, paralyzed by the fear of failure. But when I remember that my faith can override that fear, I muster up the courage to move forward.
I’m actually experiencing fear right now!
- I feel fear about publishing this post, because it is the first step in promoting my newest coaching program, based on this profound book.
- I feel fear about the email I’m sending tonight, also promoting that program.
- I feel fear about showing the world the landing page I created, because I’m not the best at the techie stuff.
- I feel fear that no one will register for a program that I truly feel will shift people’s thinking forever.
- I feel fear about interviewing Sharon Lechter next week, on my BlogTalkRadio Show…GULP!
But here’s the good news!
- I have faith that most people won’t be critical of my landing page.
- I have faith that the right people will register for this program.
- I have faith that the interview will be awesome.
- I have faith that many people, because of this post, that email or landing page or interview, will read Outwitting the Devil and benefit from the wisdom contained in the most profound book I have ever read. And that is an exciting thought!
So what about you? What are you afraid of? How do you move past that fear? Have you read Outwitting the Devil?